We had lunch with my Uncle who I had spent the previous week putting on a roof to house with, and my dad's folks as well. Though I thought taking my dad with me will lessen the fears of my grandmother from taking the trip, it seemed that taking my "out-of-shape" father only worried her, for once in my life I felt that my dad did not make the journey in one piece that I would be in BIG trouble! Already being somewhat aware of my father's fears of not keeping up (as most people seem to be weary of joining a cross country cyclist I am beginning to realize), I planned for 40 mile days, but unfortunately with the exception of the first night where we would be able to visit my dad's brother and family in Elburn, there were not many accommodations along the way.

So, we loaded our bikes and heading on our way out of the city, I could tell right way that my dad most have had some kind of 30-year old flashback (he was on his '76 Viscount in the city he spent his teenage years)...because he buzzed along, more than happy to speed along with traffic and weave in and out of traffic.
Getting out of the city was a rush, by the time we made it to the suburbs we were ready for some tranquil roads. We found some trails and before long we were in the countryside near St. Charles with a huge hill to conqueur before we made it to my Uncle Jim's and Aunt Diane's beautiful home filled with animals.
I hadn't spent time with them in awhile, so we ordered Chinese and had some good laughs, my cousin Lauren and her folks were amazing hosts: a great way to begin the leg.
No comments:
Post a Comment