Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chicago: Roofing & Family

On Father's Day, my sister and I went to my Grandparents to celebrate with my 90 year old Grandfather and the rest of the family that could make it out.

 I am normally not around this time of year to take part in the festivities, and did not expect the big crowd with my Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins, and naturally a huge feast of food--it was lovely.

I really enjoyed it compared to the more hectic holidays, we all sat around outside enjoying the weather and the company and it wasn't before long that we were all sharing stories and catching up. It was here that I started talking to my Uncle about forgetting to ask around for work before I arrived in Chicago.

"You looking for work? For real" my uncle said. "Yes..anything." I answered
 "I have work," he said and started talking about a roofing job that he was going to start in a couple days.
All I knew about roofing, is that the last time I did a roofing job, it still goes down in history as one of my least favorite days on a work site---in my life. But out of desperation and because I knew my uncle needed help, I agreed.

It couldn't have been a more perfect for the two of us. He gets an extra hang and I get work and to be outside.

We spent the next four days...all day, working together; wrestling this roof, and trying to finish the job before storms came.

In the meantime, in the middle of the week I talked to my dad and convinced him to come up to visit his family and to ride out with me to Davenport out of Chicago. After, pushing him just a bit, he agreed.

So, the week went by quickly and the work hours were long, and the labor was tough. Let's just say we didn't quite make our deadlines...but by the end of the week there was a roof on the house and thankfully my dad came early to help finish the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment