Monday, May 20, 2013

Mile 327: Leaving Malvern, leaving Abi.

Yesterday, I left the rehab center, wrapping up the last minute things and said goodbye to Abi. It's always hard to walk away from her not knowing if she understands that you will be back and that you love her. I was lucky that un unexpected visitor, one of Abi's friends from highschool, walked in as I was leaving, and I think of the beauty of all the people that take the time to sit with her, to be with her as she recovers, as she passes the time.

When I headed out it was rainy and the bike already seemed foriegn to me since I was off it and all the gear for nearly a week. I had my mandolin brought up from a friend in Kentucky, and switched it out for the cooking stove and propane, so I could carry it---I figured entertainment could be harder to find than food on this trip---so chose the instrument.

When I left, It felt good to be on my bike again, to be at my pace--I had left especially late this day since I wanted to spend more alone time with Abi and get all the loose ends tied up while I could.
The hills out of Malvern were fun, meandering through old stone bridges, and back through Amish and Mennonite Country, surrounded by small farms with a certain care, and today, groups of families and children were out walking in their yards, or playing games---but the picture of them could have been taken in the 1800's with long skirts and black suits, buggies scurrying by...

When I reached Lancaster, it felt familiar, and after seeing the small towns surrounding it during both trips to and from, I felt like I had an understanding of Pennsylvania.

 The night was peaceful, filled with on-going stories, conversations, shared laughs and sorrows, a good home-cooked meal, and a warm bed and shower.

Look forward to seeing the more Western parts of Pennsylvania.


No comments:

Post a Comment