Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mile 380: Harrisburg, PA


I left Lancaster, sad to see the city behind me. There was something special about the place and about the people I met there. I felt inspired, I felt I was where I needed to be, and I felt okay for taking off on my own with the support of others around me. 
I met someone in Lancaster, whose life changed quickly in some ways like my own-- but he is finding joy in exploring the things he loves, creating a beautiful space around him, and choosing not to give up on doing amazing things in his life, even with the hardships, even with the unknowing.

The day was hot biking to Harrisburg, and it just so happened that a friend of mine and Abi's--Camille, was staying in Harrisburg prepping for a bike trip of her own. Coincidentally as well, on the way, I was also connected to a cyclist named Jasmine who was taking her own cross country trip with her dog Fuiji, and for a moment it seemed like cycling across the country seemed pretty common:) We all had a great couple nights in Harrisburg.
 I was able to visit a co-op in a rough part of town surrounded with children excited about bikes, sing a Karaoke song in the midst of one seemed to be hundreds of talented singers, took a dig in the Susquehanna River, learned about bike maintenance with my host, and stayed in a comfy and welcoming place filled with upstanding people called the Treehouse---it was great. Off to Easter Waterford tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment